Word tracker

My Works in Progress

Thursday 19 March 2009

Kissing Frogs

I am a masochist. I know I'm not alone because all writers are masochists.

We put ourselves through the hell of rejection but still keep doing it. We are like toddlers trying to stand up under a table - we bang our heads once, but then swiftly forget where we are and do it again, and again and again.

I have heard back from my agent about the publisher who was/is interested in the trilogy. They have suggested further work and have given me some substantial general notes to work with.

My agent says the notes might be worth thinking about (she has e-mailed them to me) but says there are plenty more fish in the sea and 'we only need to kiss the right frog'. She states she is confident we will get there eventually.

I now have to go through it all again, because she has sent the m/s out to more publishers.

So I'm afraid the news on the writing front is not good news, but it's not horrendously bad either.

Anyway - the news on a personal front is BRILLIANT!

I have a grand-daughter so the magpies were right the other day. "Three for a girl". Here she is with her very proud granny.

Her name is Sophie Rose and she was born at 10.00 am on 11th March. She weighed 9lb 8 oz. Her big brother, Tyler, was very pleased to have a little sister because 'she will have her own girls' toys, won't she?'

Mum and baby are doing just fine and she is a little princess. She's very good and sleeps well. She is absolutely beautiful.

So who cares about a book deal? If it comes, then to say I'll be happy is a massive understatment, but if it doesn't then I'll just write another book and dedicate it to my lovely grandchildren.

And anyway, I've just joined the Novel Racers, so that is good news too.

12 comments:

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Many congratulations, she looks lovely. I love her name too, and thought her brother's comments hilarious, bless him.

Welcome to the Novel Racers too.x

Denise said...

Lovely picture.

On the other front - and she's right too you know, you DO know that don't you? She's one of the best and will find the right deal. As the cliche goes, patience is a virtue, and no I don't have much either!

Marcie Steele said...

Congratulations Granny Annie (sorry couldn't resist!) Glad everything went well.

On the book front, Denise is right, you have a superb agent. I think the publishing world is getting really picky nowadays, a book has to be absolutely perfect to succeed to publication and then it's still an uphill struggle to get it noticed amongst others.

BUT we will keep on trying, and you and me both, well, we will get there.

Me and you both will never give up!

x

Anonymous said...

I think this is all good news. Maybe not perfect news, but still good. JM is clearly still doing her job - and in a difficult business climate. Your time will definitely come.

SR is a darling. I've seen the fb photos too.

Welcome to NR too. What shall I put you down for in the race?

DAB said...

Congratualtions Grandma :) Now stop hiding under that duvet (It won't be long before you win that (novel)race m'dear) TFx

Tim Atkinson said...

Splendid news! And three magpies might be a good omen for the trilogy, too!

Pat Posner said...

I'm sure you'll 'kiss the right frog' soon, Annie. One of my writing friends had suggestions for changes/additions to her ms from 3 different publishers. But the fourth publisher, the right frog, accepted it and only wanted a couple of tiny tweaks.
Sophie Rose looks gorgeous and I love her name. Congratulations to her parents and her proud grandma!
xxPat

HelenMWalters said...

Sophie Rose looks beautiful. And the writing thing really is just a matter of time. You're there. Really xxx

Anonymous said...

Many congratualtions on ur granddaughter! she is beautiful. xxx Im sure you will spoil her rotten. Sorry book deal is taking so long but I know you will get there...I just feel it!

Lane Mathias said...

I think the right frog will hop along very soon and you'll be able to give it a big smacker:-)

And Sophie Rose is beautiful. Congratulations Annie. xx

KeVin K. said...

Good looking grand-daughter you've got there.

I'm going to say what everyone else has said. Keep your ms circulating as is. Don't rewrite unless the editor's notes are part of an offer to buy. And then think about it. (And listen to your agent's advice.)

Welcome to Novel Racers.

Karen said...

Congratulations - what a whopper :o) My daughter was 9lbs 5and I thought that was big enough!

The road to publication ain't 'alf a long one, but I'm certain you'll get there.