Word tracker

My Works in Progress

Thursday 22 October 2009

NaNoWriMo

The cuckoo has taken flight again, as of this week, following an edit. I was thrilled to bits to get a second read from the RNA and have had some valuable feedback from them.

Following my holiday in August, I began work in earnest on 'The White Cuckoo', and have really put everything I've got into the rewrite. I've examined every sentence, every single word and analysed the plot, scene by scene. I've been ruthless and cut out huge chunks of text that don't either (a) move on the plot, (b) characterise or (c) add vivid imagery. I've added an equal amount of text to strengthen characters, add conflict and tension and made the whole story more 'edgy'.

It's done now. I don't want to revise it any more. If it makes it then I shall be ecstatically happy, but while I'm waiting to find out I thought I might as well join Debs and Sally and sign up for NaNoWriMo. Probably a bit crazy of me, but I did so enjoy writing the Cuckoo, and my next novel 'Horns of Angels' (working title at the moment) is jumping around in my brain like heated popcorn and needs to be let out.

On a lighter note, hubby went to do the shopping yesterday and found two objects: one lying on the car park and one left in a trolley in the trolley park. I always think it's a good job we don't live near the sea, or he'd become one of those long-haired ageing hippy beachcombers, wombling along the shoreline for things that might come in useful one day.

The first object he found was a box of laxatives. The second was a rather funky little pink pen with multi-coloured inks. I'd take a photo, but I'm recovering from piggy flu and can't be bothered to get up off my backside to find the camera. He very proudly presented me with both objects when he got home, literally just minutes after I had signed up to NaNoWriMo. How very quirky and synchronised. I just hope the end result of my NaNoWriMo is not just a load of old c**p.

5 comments:

Fiona Mackenzie. Writer said...

Fantastic news about the second reading.

Not so good news about piggy flu. You poor thing, you sound very stocial about it but that's because you're a real trooper.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Yes, great news about the second reading, well done.

Sorry to hear you're suffing from piggy flu. Hope you're feeling much better soon.

Thrilled you've signed up to NaNo too, so has DJ.

Karen said...

Laxatives and a pen eh? I'm trying to think how they could be worked into a story!

Great news about the 2nd reading and glad you're getting over the swine fever. Good luck with NaNo :o)

HelenMWalters said...

Good luck with NaNo. I think you're very brave.

DAB said...

Good Luck with NaNo. Hope your pen flows ;-) Tfx